As a student of the Institute of Community Directors Australia, you have access to a range of resources to help you in your studies.
If you need support, it is important that you seek it as soon as you need it. (Don’t wait until things get too big!)
Depending on what you need, you may wish to contact your trainer directly, or alternatively contact the student support staff at Our Community. In either case you can send a message through the Student Portal.
Unit or Assessment Support
Contact your trainer privately
If you have any questions or issues related to the units or
assessments, your trainer/assessor is your first point of contact. You
can contact them via the portal on the My Dashboard page, or in the Messages pages (accessed via the portal's black menu bar on the left), where you will see a light blue Ask Your Assessor About button.
The drop-down menu in the message box will allow you to choose which unit your query relates to or, “Other” for a more general inquiry. Any message you write will be sent via email to your trainer / assessor, who will aim to get back to you within 24 hours.
Use the Student Discussion Board
Sometimes issues or queries to do with your understanding could be solved via the Student Discussion Board. In fact, your query and need for clarification could be something that others share, and if you address it via the discussion board, it can be a learning experience for all. You can do this via the Start New Discussion Topic button.
You can choose a particular unit your question or “topic” is related to, or leave that part blank for more general comments or queries. Feel free to ask your fellow students what they think about an idea, but be sure to follow the Discussion Board guidelines in forming your question and also in your responses. If you are concerned about anything posted on the Student Discussion Board please contact us ASAP on 03 9320 6800.
Administration, extensions or technology help
Perhaps the support you need will be better addressed by Our Community student administration support staff. Sometimes life gets in the way and you may need to arrange an extension. These are available on a per unit basis, and are only available where there are extenuating circumstances (you will need to provide evidence of extenuating circumstances). It is important that you negotiate any extension in advance - before the unit due date - and you can do this via the Student Portal. Our Community admin support can help with discussing extensions and also technology or student portal help. It would be a good idea to first check the Diploma Student Help page for technology or portal help - to see if we’ve covered what you need there.
- Try to set up a dedicated quiet, comfortable and distraction free environment for your study time - this is your time, make it work for you.
- Set yourself a weekly study schedule and stick to it - block out around 5 to 7 hours each week (depending on the tasks ahead).
- A weekly 'to do' list will help you see how you need to plan your time, (and it is very satisfying to tick the tasks off!)
- Reward yourself for completed tasks - this might include reading and responding - not just for assessment tasks.
- Become familiar with the unit materials and assessment questions before each of the 6 scheduled tutorials - you will find you will be better focused in your learning.
- Make sure you speak up in the role plays of your live tutorials. Remember, much learning is best achieved by DOING.
- Try taking notes on the videos within the unit assessment pages - you can always go back to edit and refine before you press 'submit'.
- Be careful with perfectionism - it can stop you from getting the job done!
- Keep motivated and connected by interacting regularly with your peers and your trainer on the Student Discussion Board. (You are not alone!)
- Keep the momentum up throughout the year by regularly reminding yourself why you have embarked on this study. (Keep a note of this in a prominent place to remind you!)