The Office for Women Victoria is sponsoring 25 places for women to undertake an online Diploma of Governance.
These places are part of the Women's Board Leadership Program, supported by the Office for Women Victoria.
This scholarship program provides governance training and networking to help women advance their board careers. All women in Victoria with prior experience serving, or a desire to serve, on Government or not-for-profit boards or committees of management can apply.
The scholarship covers 100% of the fee for this course. Applications for the scholarship must be made by following the Apply links on this page.
This round closes at 11.59pm on Friday 8 April.
Apply today and be part of a new movement of governance leaders. Help us change the game.
Women's Board Leadership Program
Diploma of Governance
This is an opportunity to enhance governance skills and gain an acclaimed qualification. This opportunity is valued at over $4,500 for each individual recipient. Community minded people from a broad range of backgrounds and life experiences that are currently or would like to take up a position on a community board are invited to apply. This opportunity is a competitive, merit-based process and applications are submitted directly to ICDA.
To be awarded an Office for Women scholarship for the Diploma of Governance, applicants must apply for the scholarship round (terms and conditions apply), which an independent panel will use to assess motivation, interest, academic capacity, and English language skills, as well as their governance, community, business and/or life experience.
As champions of diversity, the Institute of Community Directors Australia and the Office for Women have long been focussed on providing leadership opportunities to women from a broad range of backgrounds and life experiences. In this round, we're offering full scholarships towards the Diploma of Governance valued at $4,500.
Apply today and be part of a new movement of governance leaders. Help us change the game.
You are eligible for the Office for Women Scholarship if you:
- identify as a woman
- can remain in Australia to work and study for a period of at least 5 years
- are a resident of Victoria at the time of application
- have experience sitting on a board or working closely with a board of directors
- should have never been disqualified as a board member
- have a passion for community
- can demonstrate the main opportunities and challenges for women in the social sector
- can provide reasons for wanting to improve your governance skills
- can commit to program time commitments
Applicants must also agree to the terms and conditions.
Start Date: 4 July 2022
Tutorial 1: 20 Jul 2022 - 9.30am - 11.30am
Tutorial 2: 24 Aug 2022 - 9.30am - 11.30am
Tutorial 3: 21 Sep 2022 - 9.30am - 11.30am
Tutorial 4: 26 Oct 2022 - 9.30am - 11.30am
Tutorial 5: 23 Nov 2022 - 9.30am - 11.30am
Tutorial 6: 14 Dec 2022 - 9.30am - 11.30am
Start Date: 25 July 2022
Tutorial 1: 9 Aug 2022 - 9.30am - 11.30am
Tutorial 2: 6 Sep 2022 - 9.30am - 11.30am
Tutorial 3: 4 Oct 2022 - 9.30am - 11.30am
Tutorial 4: 8 Nov 2022 - 9.30am - 11.30am
Tutorial 5: 6 Dec 2022 - 9.30am - 11.30am
Tutorial 6: 17 Jan 2023 - 9.30am - 11.30am
Start Date: 1 August 2022
Tutorial 1: 15 Aug 2022 - 9.30am - 11.30am
Tutorial 2: 12 Sep 2022 - 9.30am - 11.30am
Tutorial 3: 10 Oct 2022 - 9.30am - 11.30am
Tutorial 4: 7 Nov 2022 - 9.30am - 11.30am
Tutorial 5: 5 Dec 2022 - 9.30am - 11.30am
Tutorial 6: 16 Jan 2023 - 9.30am - 11.30am
Start Date: 15 August 2022
Tutorial 1: 31 Aug 2022 - 12.30pm - 2.30pm
Tutorial 2: 28 Sep 2022 - 12.30pm - 2.30pm
Tutorial 3: 26 Oct 2022 - 12.30pm - 2.30pm
Tutorial 4: 23 Nov 2022 - 12.30pm - 2.30pm
Tutorial 5: 14 Dec 2022 - 12.30pm - 2.30pm
Tutorial 6: 18 Jan 2023 - 12.30pm - 2.30pm
Start Date: 5 September 2022
Tutorial 1: 20 Sep 2022 - 12.30pm - 2.30pm
Tutorial 2: 18 Oct 2022 - 12.30pm - 2.30pm
Tutorial 3: 22 Nov 2022 - 12.30pm - 2.30pm
Tutorial 4: 13 Dec 2022 - 12.30pm - 2.30pm
Tutorial 5: 10 Jan 2023 - 12.30pm - 2.30pm
Tutorial 6: 14 Feb 2023 - 12.30pm - 2.30pm
Start Date: 19 September 2022
Tutorial 1: 6 Oct 2022 - 12.30pm - 2.30pm
Tutorial 2: 3 Nov 2022 - 12.30pm - 2.30pm
Tutorial 3: 8 Dec 2022 - 12.30pm - 2.30pm
Tutorial 4: 19 Jan 2023 - 12.30pm - 2.30pm
Tutorial 5: 16 Feb 2023 - 12.30pm - 2.30pm
Tutorial 6: 16 Mar 2023 - 12.30pm - 2.30pm
How will applicants learn?
To ensure participants’ learning is both deep and sustained, each course participant is equipped with a range of tools and materials:
- Online study tools, including a purpose-built Student Portal through which they can draft and lodge assessments, contact their tutor and explore rich content relating to their studies.
- Access to an online forum, through which they can engage with fellow students and the broader ICDA membership.
- ICDA membership and website access. Students receive 18-month access to ICDA’s extensive online resource centre for not-for-profit board/committee members, including a Board Matching Service, Policy Bank, and a range of members-only content.
- Credentials. Participants who successfully complete the requirements of the Diploma are eligible to use the post-nominals:
- Dip. Gov. and,
- FICDA- Fellow of the Institute of Community Directors Australia
10 reasons you’ll love this course
1. Because it’s flexible. You can complete this course entirely online, gaining a qualification in your own space and at your own pace (within 12 months). You’ll learn through a combination of individual work and scheduled meetings with your trainer and other course members, benefiting along the way from foundational videos, interactive webinars and online discussion boards.
2. Because it’s good for your career. Formal qualifications like the Diploma of Governance can advance your career opportunities as well as your community contributions.
3. Because CLMs make a difference. As a CLM your governance skills need to be different to how you might manage a company. This course has been designed from the ground up to be solely relevant for community-based organisations and the not-for-profit sector.
4. Because it’s applicable to your needs. This course works for people seeking a board position, brand new board members, experienced board members, and senior staff who work with boards.
5. Because it will link you in with peer support. You will join a growing alumni of not-for-profit governance specialists, giving you access to deep connections and a vibrant network of believers and doers.
6. Because it’s respected. This is the only governance qualification specifically designed for the not-for-profit sector. Your new post-nominals (Dip.Gov.; FICDA) will highlight your credentials as a member of this expert network.
7. Because it’s practical. Course content is drawn from the experience and wisdom of the Institute of Community Directors Australia and Our Community, which have trained more than 140,000 not-for-profit volunteers and professionals.
8. Because being a community based CLM is not a hobby. Board work (especially not-for-profit board work) is becoming increasingly complex. You need to know what your legislative and compliance requirements are.
9. Because it opens new pathways. The Diploma can help you enter higher-level qualifications at university. In addition, when you enrol, you are awarded membership of the Institute of Community Directors Australia and, by extension, you’re considered a ‘responsible person’ in the eyes of the ATO, clearing a hurdle to certain board appointments which require this status.
10. Because we know you’re going to love it. ICDA have received rave reviews about the Diploma. CEOs, board members and volunteers who have completed the course say that it’s relevant to the unique needs of leaders in the not-for-profit sector, that it’s practical, and that the lessons are instantly applicable.
Scholarship Terms and Conditions
The Terms and Conditions for any Office for Women scholarship offered towards the Institute of Community Directors' Diploma of Governance.
All applications will be assessed within 4 weeks from the date of your submission, and successful applicants of the scholarships will be notified by 12 June 2022. The number of places is limited to 25, so please get your application in sooner rather than later.
The full cost of the Diploma of Governance is $4,500, comprising enrolment, assessment and administration. Scholarship recipients are for the cost of the course.
Study must commence between 1 July 2022 and 30 September 2022. If enrolment has not been finalised by 30 June 2022, ICDA reserves the right to re-allocate the scholarship to another applicant.
Applications must be made via the online system. No mailed, faxed or emailed applications will be accepted.
Please read full details on the applicant site for opening and closing time and date. Late applications will not be considered, under any circumstances, so don't delay.
Scholarship recipients need to have read the course snapshot and understand that they will be required to:
- Have time to watch videos, read, prepare and reflect on fundamental governance principles
- Have the ability to attend and actively participate in all online tutorials / webinars
- Commit to completing all competency-based assessment within twelve months of the first day of the course (you must complete one unit assessment per month)
- Commit to transferring the knowledge gained to the organisation once the course is completed