Training and capacity building sessions for your community group
Are you looking for training that’s designed especially for your unique needs?
We provide a range of training options designed for the staff, volunteers, board and committee members, and supporters of Australian community organisations.
A celebration of ideas, knowledge and capacity-building, tailored for you.
We can bring you an information-packed series of webinars and online interactive workshops. Hear from experts on some of the hottest topics, trends and issues facing your community.
- Choose your preferred dates and times for specialised topics.
- Participants can register for each of the webinars that interest them separately.
- More information outlining the key topics that will be covered in each webinar can be provided.
Please note: some technical information
- Participants will need access to a computer with sound and reliable internet.
- Once registered, a link will be sent to participants via email; just follow the prompts to join the webinar.
- Be sure to check your system compatibility in advance.
- Webinars are supported by dedicated staff as well as the presenter, and during the webinar participants will be able to type questions and participate in real-time polling.
- Participants will be able to download the presentation and any other documents shared during the webinar and may be sent a copy of the recording within 24 hours of the webinar, if desired
- Online interactive workshops allow for more face-to-face learning and interaction between participants and the trainer as well as more peer interaction.
- Participants can always contact our team for help with any technical problems that arise.
Our face-to-face training involves a deeper dive into selected topics, incorporating opportunities for interactivity. These training sessions are designed to transmit deep learning without the need for mind-numbing reading or assessments. They’re interactive and practical with actions that can be put to immediate use.
We work with you to ensure your key priorities are achieved in a one- or two-day course.
Face-to-face board training, for example, will help participants understand their legal and practical responsibilities as board members, and gain insights into how they can create a more harmonious, more productive and more effective working group. We have seen numerous recent examples of Boards being disengaged in relation to the culture of their organisation. We believe that clarity of purpose and a values-based approach to organisational culture can be achieved through the right training and engagement.
We seek to go beyond training delivery and look for ways to ensure lessons are embedded and acted upon. During our training, we encourage trainees to identify specific actions that they could take to improve their own governance practices or those of their boards, and we can (if required) follow up later to help consolidate those lessons.
ICDA can provide off-the-shelf training for board members and those who work closely with boards in the following areas of community practice (or any combination of these areas).
Boards, governance and leadership
Grants and funding
Better meetings, decision-making and strategies for resolving conflict
Strategic planning, review and revitalisation
Leading the organisation to waste less, save more and take action
Conflict mediation and resolution
Communication and promotion / marketing
People management: volunteers, employees and contractors
Event management – managing in a changing world
Aboriginal cultural awareness and engagement
Understanding Aboriginal land rights and native title
Introduction to Aboriginal land care practices
Organisational risk management and insurance
Gender equality in your organisation
The board’s role in OHS and emergency management
Local council governance and management
We are highly flexible and able to tailor our training courses to meet specific needs and budgets, so please let us know if you have any questions or would like us to arrange a quote.
ICDA is an expert at creating bespoke training sessions. Please complete the online form or email email@example.com or call us on (03) 9320 6800 to talk about your needs.
Tailored training programs can be designed and delivered to meet your needs in any area of the following areas of community practice:
- Boards, governance and leadership
- Grants and funding
- Better meetings, decision-making and strategies for resolving conflict
- Strategic planning, review and revitalisation
- Leading the organisation to waste less, save more and take action
- Conflict mediation and resolution
- Successful negotiation
- Finance (beginner): introduction to financial roles and financial reports
- Finance (intermediate): reading, interpreting, understanding the finances and making good financial decisions
- Communication and promotion / marketing
- People management: volunteers, employees and contractors
- Event management – managing in a changing world
- Aboriginal cultural awareness and engagement
- Understanding Aboriginal land rights and native title
- Introduction to Aboriginal land care practices
- Organisational risk management and insurance
- Community engagement
- Gender equality in your organisation
- The board’s role in OHS and emergency management
- Local council governance and management
- Pre-workshop phone call with trainer to ensure understanding of the audience and key topics of interest
- Live training delivered by a single trainer either face-to-face or online using our preferred platform, GoToWebinar
- Management of bookings via online form
- Pre- and post-training communications (via email); may include answering follow-up questions
- Distribution of PowerPoint presentation post-training
- Access to a recording of the training for all registrants (only applies to online training)
- Handouts and templates (as appropriate to topic)
- Feedback survey (standard report to be provided to client on request)
- Venue hire and catering
- Travel and accommodation. Most ICDA trainers are ex-Melbourne or ex-Dubbo. Economy flights, mileage and 3- to 4-star accommodation are charged to the client at cost.
- Tailoring of content. Anything other than minor changes to our off-the-shelf offering will be charged at $120 per hour
- Additional trainers and facilitators. Fees for additional trainers, if requested by the client, will be passed on to the client at cost.
We keep costs as low as possible. These costs will be added to the final invoice along with the training fee.
Individuals, organisations, councils or peak bodies can arrange for our training to be held at a location convenient to them. We offer tailored training all over Australia in addition to our scheduled training in the main centres.
Organisations often combine forces to bring our training to their area.
Yes, we can run single or multiple training sessions of varying duration depending on your training requirements and budget.
This can be negotiated depending on your requirements but as a rough guide:
- Face-to-face interactive - up to 30 participants
- Online interactive - up to 15 participants
- Online lecture style - up to 200 participants
Yes, we are flexible in terms of delivery and can deliver training during weekdays, after hours and on weekends.
We do not generally charge a booking fee, but for partnerships that require significant administration and relationship management, a management fee will be applicable per annum, depending on the type of load and complexity expected.
The venue and catering are usually arranged by the organisation requesting the training but we can do it if you need us to. An additional administration fee may need to be factored in.
We can come to you
Individuals, organisations, councils or peak bodies may also like to arrange for our scheduled training events to be held at a location convenient to you. Our Institute of Community DIrectors Australia has provided training to every type of organisation imaginable in many locations throughout the country.